Zinc metal reacts with hydrochloric acid according to the balanced equation: zn(s) + 2 hcl(aq) ¡ zncl2(aq) + h2( g) when 0.103 g of zn(s) is combined with enough hcl to make 50.0 ml of solution in a coffee-cup calorimeter, all of the zinc reacts, raising the temperature of the solution from 22.5 °c to 23.7 °c. find ∆hrxn for this reaction as written. (use 1.0 g/ml for the
може ли да зареждате повече информация, моля
Zinc metal reacts with hydrochloric acid to form zinc chloride and release hydrogen gas. The equation is exothermic, therefore, the change in enthalpy will be negative. The equation is:
Given that,Volume of solution = 50 mLDensity is = 1g/mLMass = Volume X density = 50 X 1 = 50 g
Now, the heat released by reaction is equal to the heat absorbed. The heat evolved can be measured as:
Heat = m X SH X T,
where,SH = Specific heatm = mass T = Change in temperature
As water have specific heat of 4.18 J/g°C, substituting in the equation, it becomes:
Also, the mass of zinc is given that 0.103 g and molar mass is 65.41 g/mol. Then, number of moles in zinc will be:
Thus, enthalpy change will be:
Therefore, the = for the given equation.
To know more about enthalpy change, refer to the following link:
Volume of solution is 50 mL and density is 1 g/mL thus, mass can be calculated as follows:
Putting the values,
m= 50 mL× 1 g/mL=50 g
Now, heat released by reaction is equal to heat absorbed thus, heat released can be calculated as follows:
Here, SH is specific heat, m is mass and is change in temperature.
Specific heat of water is 4.18 J/g°C, putting the values,
Now, mass of zinc is 0.103 g and molar mass is 65.41 g/mol thus, number of moles of zinc can be calculated as:
Putting the values,
Therefore, for the given reaction is
- A layer of sedimentary rock is 2 m thick. How many years did it take for this later to form if an average of 4 mm of sediment accumulated per year?...
- If the car was in motion on the race track, how would the car be affected if the force of friction and the force from the motor were equal...
- How to find 3.9 grams in volume...
- Ocean water is a solution. If you took a samples of salt water from the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and then a sample of the salt water closer to shore and analyzed it, what woul...
- N2(g) + 3H2(g) → 2NH3(g) Predict the effects of an increase in pressure for each reaction...
- Using the drop-down menus, complete the table to summarize the properties of the different subatomic particles. (options are zero and one for a, b, and c)...
- All mass of an atom is in the what...2 answer(s) · Chemistry
- Select all the compounds below that contain ionic bonds. (Cross out/delete compounds that are not ionic.) 1. NaCl(s) 2. O2(g) 3. Fe (5) 4. HCl(aq) 5. CuCl2 (s)...
- Help now please this is not to hard of a q...
- How many moles of ammonia (NH3) are there in 405 liters of ammonia STP?...